, ,

My Highlights of Living the University Life

05:35



You may or may not be aware, but last September I jumped shipped and moved away from home to attend and become a student at University of the Arts London (AKA...UAL).

For some, moving away from home may seem like the scariest thing ever, but I can't say I felt that at all. Quite the opposite really. I was excited to embrace a new adventure and live independently in the capital, London.

After growing up with London just a few hours away, it became a second home, visiting frequently throughout the years, so moving was less daunting. Maybe, if I lived to a place I had never visited my feelings probably would have been a little different.

But after the first years been and gone, in what seems like no time at all, it has been one of the best experiences ever. I highly recommend that if you have the opportunity to go to University do it! Its not just about the studying( although that is very important), but as cliché as it may sound, you grow and learn is so many ways.

1.You make friends you feel like you've known since forever.

2. And get to live with your closest friends.

For the first year I moved into student accommodation, sharing a flat with 6 other people. I was very cautious and chose a place with my own ensuite bathroom as I like my own space. If you're a clean freak like me, it's you're best option. I was very lucky and became very close with my flatmates and wouldn't have traded them for the world. You can become very close very quickly as you literally spend 24 hours a day with them, 7 days a week- besides the time spend sleeping and at University. So after living with them for a year, it feels like I've known them for a lifetime.

3. You get to explore the ins and outs of a new city.

London is a huge city with endless amounts of fun right at your doorstep. Everyday there are a constant wave of new events and activities going on; from exhibitions, to funfairs and markets. You can always find something new and exciting to do. That is what I love the most, you can never get bored.

4. You study what you enjoy.

Studying at University at times can be stressful and tense, especially when deadlines are approaching - I've learned from experience. Everyone is on edge and going crazy with the late nights in order to do their best and submit before that 4pm sharp deadline. But at the end of the day, you know it's all worth it. You get to study something you actually enjoy and want to learn more about, rather than having to study all those sciences, when in the long run knowing what chemicals react with what will never come in handy. It makes studying and deadlines that much easier when you pay attention and get creative, because at the end of the day its something you love.

5. There is no one telling you what to do.

For some, becoming independent may be the hardest thing ever, but for others its a blessing in disguise. You get to choose and cook what you want to eat everyday and when, you can stay out all night with no one worrying when you'll be home. You pretty much do what you want when you want, and for the independent gal like myself, it's the best feeling ever. But not for everyone, there is no one pushing you to do your work, or getting you out of bed in the morning for your 9am lecture. You do everything for yourself, and you soon realize, you're becoming an adult, which is the only scary part.

6. You drink waayyy to many shots.

One of the biggest experiences most students embark upon is drinking. I'm not talking about sitting down for a mothers meeting with a good old pot of tea, I'm talking about the spirit kind. In the first few weeks of uni that's all you seem to be doing, drinking and making a lot of friends in the process, I guess alcohol makes everyone more confident in a way. But nonetheless it seems like a right of passage, with freshers going on for the first month you move in before you even begin your course. By the end of each month it would be hard to count.. and remember how many bottles of wine, beer and spirits you have consumed.... I hate to think of the quantity for the whole year!

But all in all, its one hell of an experience I believe everyone should have. No two University experiences are the same. We all will face some struggles at times, whether that's meeting deadlines or deciding what food to eat, but it will help us get better in the long run. But the most important thing to remember is to enjoy it because before you know it, the whole thing will become a distant blur of some of the best years of your life.











You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE NEWSLETTER

Get an email of every new post! We'll never share your address.